Monday, October 20, 2008

RIP: Rudy Ray Moore (March 17, 1927 - October 19, 2008)



Moore died Sunday evening at an Akron nursing home from complications of diabetes

Another one of my favorites has passed on to the big party in the sky, reminding me of my own mortality.

I loved his movies and I loved him for introducing me to The Signifyin' Monkey.



R.I.P. Mr. Dolomite.

From Wikipedia,

Moore began his entertainment career as an R&B singer and continued singing through his comedy career. He developed an interest in comedy in the Army after expanding on a singing performance for other servicemen.[1]

Rudy Ray Moore released many comedy records throughout the 1960s and 1970s, developing a style even more rude and explicit than contemporaries like Redd Foxx and Richard Pryor. This kept him off of television and major films, but cultivated an enduring fan base.

He also guested on Big Daddy Kane's album Taste of Chocolate, released in 1990.

Moore starred in Big Money Hustlas, a movie created by and starring the Insane Clown Posse, in which he played Dolemite for the first time in over 20 years.

In 2008 Rudy Ray Moore reprised the character Petey Wheatstraw for the song "I live for the Funk" Featuring Blowfly and Daniel Jordan. This marked the first time Blowfly and Rudy have collaborated on the same record together, and the 30 year anniversary since the movie was filmed.