Sunday, July 26, 2009

RIP Vernon Forrest



Boxing has a special spot in my heart when it comes to sports so when I hear things like this it cuts a little deeper.

I followed Vernon's career since he was an Atlanta native and watched his professional highs in wines over Sugar Shane Mosely, and lows in his loss to Ricardo Mayorga.

It hurts even more since the man gave back to the community with his Destiny's Child charity which assisted mentally challenged adults, another sticking point for me.

He will be missed.

This marks the third time in less than a two months that an athlete has died by violence and all of it was preventable on their part.

Vernon didn't have to chase those thugs but for what ever reason he did and now his community will be robbed of his light for it.

He will be missed, my condolences to his family.