Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Spike Does it Again

Spike Lee has managed to piss off one of my mothers favorite actors Clint Eastwood.

The beef started over Eastwood's two WWII movies "Flags of our Fathers" and "Letters from Iwo Jima."

Spike felt Lee white washed the film as in now showing any black men's contribution to the effort.

Clint says he was being historically accurate (which he wasn't black were there, they didn't raise the flag but they were there.), and things got testy from there.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/2008/06/06/2008-06-06_clint_eastwood_fires_back_at_spike_lee_o.html

I didn't see the movies because just looking at the trailers they looked boring, but I didn't need to see it to know that there was a good chance they would be on the light hand side.

And that doesn't bother me because unlike the days past we can tell our stories which is exactly what Spike is doing with Miracle at Saint Anna based on a novel of a true story by James McBride.

The book of the same name is about the fate of four black soldiers caught behind enemy lines in World War II Italy in a village were the residents were massacred by German S.S. soldiers.

"To see the poster of the movie go to http://www.invisible-cinema.blogspot.com/"

Years ago I would of been bent out of shape just like Spike because there would be no one championing African American cause.

But that is why we got Spike,



Denzel,


Kasi Lemmons,


and Danny Glover

(he is doing a "historical action epic based on the life of Toussaint L'Ouverture, who led a successful slave rebellion in the 18Th century that sparked the Haitian Revolution" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0785063/)

they have a enough pull and money to tell it how it really is.

There is more room for other directors to be added on to that.

Now I am not saying directors who like to twist history should not be held accountable for it, they should cause left unchecked will have stuff like Malcom X played by Johhny Depp or MLK starring Gerard Butler or some other mess.

I just don't get upset any more because one I am no longer surprised and two I got Spike.

I rather take black directors to task for not making the movies that I want to see than begging the white ones to think about me too.