Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Quote for the day: May 14

It is bad when one thing becomes two. One should not look for anything else in the Way of the Samurai. It is the same for anything that is called a Way. Therefore, it is inconsistent to hear something of the Way of Confucius or the Way of the Buddha, and say that this is the Way of the Samurai. If one understands things in this manner, he should be able to hear about all Ways and be more and more in accord with his own.

-"Hagakure" Yamamoto Tsunetomo-

I first heard this in a movie called Ghost Dog starring Forest Whitaker, the saying always stuck with me.

I have see this as saying some one who has the ability to accept other cultures, values religion and just general difference with out having to feel like they are threatening to their own beliefs.

This shows up in my own personal life, it's the reason I can have a drink with a gay friend and not be concerned about me being gay because I'm not,or have a conversation with a Muslim friend, attend the baptist church of another friend on Sunday and than a catholic sermon the next Sunday.

I can listen to the points of Pro Choicers and Pro Lifers and understand both points of view, listen to Southerner rap than play some New York rap right behind it.

Hell you have to have a strong belief system to navigate the blogosphere alone.

I have a cross section of characters as friends from different backgrounds that are cool with me but I know I cant put in the same room together.

The only constant in this mathematics seems to be me, hell I can have a beer and talk smack with a Klansman under the right circumstances.

Thinking this way has made my life richer for it.