Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Movies I like: William Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliet (1996)

I had to do time in an all boys Catholic school in New York when I was a kid and they had this Brother Thomas there.

Now Brother Thomas taught literature there but not any old literature, Shakespeare.

Studying and teaching William Shakespeare was this one dude's pleasure in life, no one could pour into it analyze every asinine, minute detail like he could with Shakespeare.

His dedication to Shakespeare was only rivaled by another Brother by the name of Pat who had a jones for the Canterbury Tales.

I hated William Shakespeare because of him and I refused add to that dead man's fame by supporting his work.

I mean it didn't help any that the language was dated like the whole time period, so you can imagine a young black kid like my self finding little interest in reading the soap opera drama of dead white people from another country.

So I just brushed off good old Willie's work till I met a young lady, who's name now escapes me, who insisted that are first date be to see the movie William Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliet starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes.





We all know the story of two star crossed lover, children of sworn enemies who tragically lose there live because of there parent hate.

Nothing new here in the story, what counts is how you tell it.

I have to give props were props were due, director Baz Luhrmann, how he told the story actually had me paying attention to his movie, stopping me cold from my plan of copping feels of every part of my date's body.

The guns, the cinematography, cars, costumes and music all had me glued to the screen.

I finally got it, and understood what Willie was driving at just by watching that one movie.

This is how it should have been taught to me instead of Brother Thomas borderline torture sessions.

Since that movie I have tried to watch every remake of Willie's work and I have to say the ones I have seen all sucked.

Which makes this Rome and Juliet stand out all the more.

I got the DVD as soon as it came out and still watch it every now and than.

I recomend it for people who want there teenagers to have a little culture about them.